Photo Of Professionals At Augustin Egelsee, LLP

Special Education Law

Your request for an IEP was denied—now what?

On Behalf of | May 8, 2024 | IEP |

Nearly all parents in California and throughout the country want what’s best for their children. They want to do whatever they can to help their children thrive, especially in school. If a parent has a child with special needs, it might feel frustrating or overwhelming trying to get the help he or she needs to be able to function in an academic setting. In some cases, parents have requested an individualized education plan (IEP), but their school district denied the request. 

A concerned parent may feel at a loss when the system they thought could help their child has said that the child does not qualify for an IEP. The first thing to do if this happens is to ask someone knowledgeable about California education laws to review the case. A parent can also explore other options, such as a 504 plan. Federal law governs the 504 plans, which ensure that children with disabilities receive the same opportunities and provisions for success as their mainstream peers in school.  

If the district denies an IEP, school officials might be able to help 

A parent can discuss a child’s needs and learning issues with a homeroom teacher or other school officials. There might be tutoring or other accommodations available without having an IEP or 504 plan. However, if a parent believes an IEP was wrongfully denied, he or she may want to pursue the matter further.  

A California special education law attorney can provide strong support to parents who are struggling to get their children the help they need to thrive in a public-school setting. An attorney can explain what requirements must be met for an IEP, as well as determine whether a specific student’s situation meets the requirements. If necessary, an attorney can initiate litigation to protect a student’s right to a free and appropriate public education (FAPE).