Photo Of Professionals At Augustin Egelsee, LLP

Special Education Law

Parents May Seek an Independent Educational Evaluation for Their Child

On Behalf of | Sep 6, 2021 | IEP |

No one knows a child better than his or her parents. Parents are in a unique position to know when a child is struggling and when he or she may need additional help in a specific area. When it comes to educational needs, parents have the right to request an Independent Educational Evaluation (IEE) for their child, if the the school district’s assessment of their child was not conducted appropriately.

Requesting an Independent Education Evaluation

A parent may know that the results of the evaluation conducted by the district are not accurate, comprehensive or sufficient. At that point, the parent may request an IEE, which should be conducted by someone who is not connected with the school district. After filing for the request for an IEE, the district must then fund the evaluation at its own expense or request a due process hearing to determine if the school district’s assessment is appropriate and if an IEE is necessary.

An IEE with an independent third-party may result in findings and recommendations that could improve the child’s educational experience. It may help a California parent to know that a school district’s findings and their assessment of the child is not the final say on their child’s education. They have the right to continue advocating for the needs of their child. In fact, parents always have the right to present private evaluations to the IEP team and the school is required to consider the assessment results.

Where Should a California Parent Start?

If you have concerns about the educational needs of your child, you have the right to speak out and advocate for them. The special education system can be complex and confusing, but with the help of an attorney, parents can fight for the rights of their children.