Photo Of Professionals At Augustin Egelsee, LLP

Special Education Law

Does your child need an individualized education program?

On Behalf of | Dec 21, 2020 | Special Education |

As children go through their years in school, lessons are typically taught to a class as a whole. Of course, every child is different, and many traditional lesson plans may not be right for children with special education needs, learning differences or who are otherwise struggling to keep up with how lessons are presented in class. In some cases, California children who are not benefitting from a traditional approach in the classroom may need an individualized education program.

The idea of one’s child needing individualized help can sometimes be difficult for parents. They may not know how to best go about requesting an IEP or if their child’s school would comply with such a plan. They may not even be entirely sure if their child needs this type of educational support. However, if any of these factors apply to your child’s situation, an IEP may be warranted:

  • The child has visual impairment.
  • The child is not meeting grade level standards.
  • The child has behavior struggles.
  • The child has hearing or communication difficulties.
  • The child has limited English-speaking abilities, making it difficult to understand lessons.
  • The child needs assistive services or technologies to fully benefit from and understand lessons.

If parents believe that an IEP could benefit their child, they may need to discuss it further with school officials. The child may need to be evaluated by the school to determine whether he or she is eligible for special education supports and services.

In some cases, schools may not fully cooperate with parents who are trying to ensure that their children receive an appropriate education through the provision of an individualized education program. As a result, California parents in this situation may feel as if they have no options for getting their children help. Fortunately, that is not the case, and parents could contact legal professionals experienced in special education law for assistance.