Elizabeth H. Curtis
Ms. Curtis is an associate attorney at Augustin Egelsee, whose primary focus is special education law. Her legal practice largely includes legal research, preparing due process complaints and associated motion work, representing families at IEP meetings, manifestation determination review meetings, resolution sessions, mediations, prehearing conferences and due process hearings.
Ms. Curtis brings to the firm extensive experience in the legal field. Prior to becoming a practicing attorney, Ms. Curtis worked for many years as a full time law clerk/paralegal while putting herself through law school at night. Most of her previous legal experience is related to civil litigation, personal injury, catastrophic injury, civil rights, family law, and transactional work in the areas of corporate formation, intellectual property, and estate planning. When she began working in the area of special education law, she found her true passion and ultimately a career she loves.
Her first exposure into the world of special education law came prior to joining Augustin Egelsee, where she was a law clerk/paralegal for approximately two years at a special education firm representing school districts. Ms. Curtis is thrilled to now be representing students and families with respect to all special education and related matters.
Ms. Curtis provides legal services with integrity, character, and a spirited passion for our clients' interests. She embodies the knowledge, skill, and devotion required to succeed in obtaining justice in this adversarial area of law. Ms. Curtis works with boundless compassion for all of our clients during times of crisis. She has tremendous experience with helping families who speak Spanish. Through experience, passion, diligence, and work ethic, Ms. Curtis is a huge asset to our AE Team.
“Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence.” - Abigail Adams
“The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.” - B.B. King
“Education is the ability to meet life's situations.” - Dr. John G. Hibben
“A well-educated mind will always have more questions than answers.” - Helen Keller
- Special Education Law
- Disciplinary Matters
- Southern California Institute of Law, Santa Barbara, California
- Juris Doctorate
- Honors: Dean’s List Merit Scholar
- Honors: Highest Honors in Legal Research, Business Organizations, Real Property
- Honors: Research Associate at Santa Barbara County Law Library, Library Volunteer, and Library Host for Legal Research law school classes
- Honors: Dean’s Nominee and Student Pupil Representative at William L. Gordon Inn of Court
- Honors: Law Student Representative at Santa Barbara Judges’ Chamber Series on Litigation and Courtroom Practices
- University of Colorado, Boulder, CO
- Major: Kinesiology
- Major: Applied Physiology
- Minor: German
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- Associate Attorney